August 23, 2008

Oh Canada!!!

Well as many of you probably don't know, Chris and I just got back from Canada!!! This was my first trip to the "north country", while Chris had been there before with his family pre-courtney. We stayed with my father-in-laws missionary companion from WAY back in the day Lewis Raiche and his family. They live in Calgary, Alberta. Chris and I drove there....yes we made the 13 hour trek in one day and arrived around 10ish. The first day we kinda just lounged around but went to some Dragon boat races at a local lake. These boats fit 20 people. It's pretty cool.


On Monday we went to a movie. We went and saw Step brothers. I seriously love Will Ferrell and although this may scare most of you....sometimes I find him a little attractive. I know I know!!!! I just love his movies and he never ceases to amaze me with his humor. What can I say I love funny men!!!
On Tuesday we went to the Calgary Zoo. This zoo is huge and is on its own little island. Chris and I walked around for what seemed like 3 days. I nicknamed it the mating zoo because there were tons of baby animals....so cute!!

I dare you to try and figure out which one is Chris!! Good luck you'll need it.

It's okay people!!! I'm used to animals biting me...and going to the hospital.

Wednesday was probably the funnest. We went up to the National park Banff. It's so beautiful up there!!! The little "town" of Banff is very Park Cityish. The road is lined with shops.


There are many glaciers in the national park and one of the most beautiful locations is lake louise. It's this beautiful crystal blue lake with a glacier behind it. The water was freezing!!!


I recommend making a trip sometime!!!
Then we got lost for a bit, ended up in British Columbia and then realized opps!! We took the wrong road! Oh well, it only set us off an hour. Next was Jasper national park which is about 2 hours north of Banff. Jasper is home of the Columbian Ice fields where we were able to actually go on a glacier!!! It was really cool. You have to go on this Ice traveler thing that is huge and it takes you up the glacier. We were able to drink the water (really good, and really cold) and walk around for a bit.



Chris doing his face plant into the freezing water. He had a brain freeze after!

Big stream running through the glacier.

One of my favorite pictures coming out of the park.
While we were coming back from Jasper we saw all of these cars pulled off the the side of the road. There was a black bear not 100 feet off of the road!!! It was really cool to see a bear in its natural habitat. People are so stupid though. It looked like a fairly young bear so naturally I was thinking...hmmm I hope mom isn't near by....but people seemed to be oblivious. Chris and I hurried, got our picture and headed back to our car. The bear started to go closer to the road and instead of these people thinking "holy crap this bear could eat my retarded face off!" they continued to take pictures. Chris and I left and I seriously hope that the bear mauled a few people.
On Thursday we went to Calgary's olympic park. They held the winter olympics in 1988. We went by the high jump and just had a blast walking around the park. I'm sure that we broke a few rules, but who really cares!! We acted like we owned the place (typical americans)and no one got hurt.


We found this trampoline and we decided to have some fun!


Chris and I jumped over the bobsled track and decided to take some pics!! We won the gold in each of our divisions....bad asses.

Feel the rhythm....Feel the rhyme....get on up...It's bobsled time...
One thing I learned is never put anything past Canadians. Has anyone ever heard of Poutine? Please let me enlighten you at once. It is a horrible thing that they eat. Yuck. It's french fries, Gravy (yes gravy), and chunks of Mozzarella cheese. Are you freaking kidding me? Chris and I decided to try it, and we almost threw up. We couldn't even finish it, plus it looked like someone had thrown up on our plate.

Hungry yet? I do have to give it to them for potato chips. They have Ketchup chips that are the best!!! Also their Salt and Vinegar chips are like 3 times as flavorful as ours. Yummy.
On Friday we went to the local pool and had a blast. It had two water slides, a wave pool and much more!!! Chris and I had seriously had so much fun.


As we were passing through the border on our way home we had to stop and give the boarder patrol our passports and everything. After we were all cleared he said "Welcome home". I can't describe how happy I am to live in the USA. Chris and I have had the opportunity to go to several different countries and I think each time we leave the USA we are reminded of how lucky we truly are. It was the best welcome home I could have imagined and it does feel really nice to be back home.

6 comments:

{Rollins Family} said...

goo d for you for getting lots of pictures,i love them all, it looks like a FUn trip.
*The Poutine looks disgusting, NASTY!

Bibber said...

Laying on the bobsled track seems like a Darwin award waiting to happen. Do you hear something comming?

Amber said...

Hurray for the USA! Chris was in Canada a couple of weeks ago, went to the same glaciers and saw a black bear as well. You might have been there at the same time! And thoses fries look nastier than nasty!

Brittany said...

What a fun trip! It's beautiful! We will definitely have to make it up there sometime...

Kateka said...

Fuuuuun! I am totally jealous. That is so much fun. Welcome back to Fatty America!

motivated said...

What a neat trip! Those french fries thing, that looks absolutely disguisting. LOL! Not even fry sauce could fix those. And I'm glad you live in America too. :)