July 6, 2008

Missouri Trip

Im here in Missouri for work and I didnt quite realize I was so close to a few church historic sites. About 10 minutes from here is the independence temple lot. Pictured below is where the cornerstones are in the ground across from the now Community of Christ International Headquarters. Click any of these pictures for larger versions.


Here is a picture of the Community of Christ 'Temple'. They have a large community center not unlike the conference center in salt lake on the adjacent corner. We also have a visitors center directly across the street from this building. Its as if the two churches are fighting over control of this one intersection.


And if I have time I am going to try and stop by Liberty Jail which is about 20 minutes out from my airport. Im not sure if any of these sites do tours on sunday but as of this writing I have about 4 hours to kill and my hotel is making me checkout at 12. Ive not been to these sites since i was like 14 so I figure this ought to be a good refresher.


Also last night I ate at one of the best bbq places I have ever set foot in. Smokehouse BBQ, i just put BBQ in the GPS and basically just picked one that wasnt too far (they have one in independence, MO) It was so good. Eating alone, however, is pretty crappy.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is an interesting design choice for the temple. It kind of looks like its big brother dunked its head in the toilet and gave it a swirly.

The BBQ sounds awesome. That is definitely the right part of the country to find some excellent grub.

Anonymous said...

I would like to think that Cori did these wholesome types of activities when she was out of town on business. Unfortunatly I'm pretty sure she visits the local chip and dale clubs. Actually now that I think about it I'm pretty sure you took these pics to cover for your crazy night at the local juggy bar.