February 28, 2009

I might be sick...

Sick of school!!!! Psych. Well I was looking at my countdowns as I do every once in a while to remind myself that this journey that I embarked on 4 years ago is about to come to a close in less than 2 months. I can't believe that it's almost over, yet it seems like yesterday that it all started. I have NEVER been so stressed out in my life!!! I have 3 MAJOR tests coming up in the next little bit that will define my career as a dental hygienist.....as in if I AM a hygienist or not. No pass, no go. I don't think that people grasp the concept of how BIG and IMPORTANT these tests are....so let me now enlighten you.
On March 24 I will be taking a National board test. This test is about 8 hours long....one day only. I will go for the morning session and try to answer about 300 questions to the best of my ability that cover information that has spanned the last 4 years of my life. Anatomy & physiology, Microbiology, Head & Neck anatomy, tooth and root anatomy, pharmacology (drug interactions, knowing what drugs people with certain diseases are on etc.), radiology, pathology, community dental health, anesthesia, research, medical conditions, medical emergencies, treatment of medically compromised, planning and implementing DH care, preventive and adjunct therapies, instrumentation, dental materials, Histology and embryology, immunology, anatomy of the periodontium, host defense mechaninsms, anything and everything about the progression of disease from gingivitis to periodontitis, ethics and HIPAA, and some that I'm sure I haven't mentioned.
Then in I will get an hour break in which I will contemplate suicide, probably throw up about 10 times, cry because I'm worried that I've failed, and want to punch a wall.
Then I will go in for another round of testing...case studies. This comprises 10-15 case studies that will have about 10-15 questions each. So another 100-225 questions covering the above mentioned categories in real life scenarios.
After this I will not contemplate suicide anymore I will actually attempt and If I survive I will then wait for my scores in the mail.
This is just test one. Then at the end of April I get to take an anesthesia written exam and then a clinical. The written exam is 55 questions and covers anything and everything that you could ever want to know about anesthesia. The mechanism of action, contraindications, medical emergencies, rationales etc. Then I get to go and demonstrate to some people that I am actually capable of doing these injections on a poor helpless individual. Then during the same week I get to demonstrate my skills as a hygienist on calculus removal and assessment. I get to find a patient who hasn't been to the dentist in about 15 years who has an abundant amount of calculus that probably doesn't want to come off and prove that I can get it off. This part I'm not too worried about because I do it every day already.
So now that you might have a little better insight into my current life right now I hope that you will understand why I may be bitchy right now....trust me it's not because I hate you, if I did you would know it. I don't have a life AT ALL and it constitutes studying, feeling sick to my stomach, and wanting to cry. Don't worry if you don't hear or see me for the next two months because I will either be A) studying B) dead or C) on my way to Mexico to start my new life with Pedro my latin lover.
Wish me luck...hopefully I won't need it!!! Did I mention that these tests have cost us about $1500 and if I fail I get to pay it again? NO PRESSURE!!!

4 comments:

Amber said...

I'm bitchy, sick to my stomach and cry a lot too, but for a way different reason! And yet I still don't want to trade you places! Good luck with all of your tests, I know that you will do well and pass! If you need to vent and be bitchy, just call me!

Chris F said...

maybe instead of 90 page blog posts you should be studying, i kid, i kid..

Kateka said...

Wow. I totally admire you. I don't think I could handle it! PS. What your hub said is TOTALLY something my hub would say. Boys, boys, boys.

Kateka said...

I went to the Draper temple a few weeks ago. It is SO pretty. However, I didn't love how the lady in front of us was letting her kid jump on the furniture though.... Hmmmm...