June 25, 2008

Near death experience

Well, I didn't really have a near death experience, nor was my life really ever in danger, but my eyes got real big and I started breathing really hard!!! So big eyes + lots of breathing = death. I'm surprised that you guys didn't know that. Anyways on Wednesday afternoons I have my dental materials lab. We are currently working on cast models and are taking lots of impressions. My partner (the one who gave me the mohawk and doesn't know how to mix powder) Stephanie was doing an impression on my maxillary arch (top teeth for non-medical peeps). I seriously have like the worst gag reflex possibly in the world....I'm still checking on that, but I suspect it's true. The impression material was a little runny and it decided to go straight down my throat. I started gaging immediately and ripped the tray out of my mouth. What I was left with was a mouth full of slim about the consistency of puddy. Yuck. I ran over to the trash and spit it out. We ended up having to use topical anesthesia on the back of my throat so I wouldn't throw up everywhere. The professor told me that I was the first person ever to gag in his class. That's right I'm numero uno! (number one for all you single lingual people) Finally I'm the first at something!

3 comments:

CHAR said...

YUCK... I hate the impression stuff. I have to try VERY hard not to gag!

Amber said...

I'm wondering if it runs in our family...I gag everytime they have to take xrays! And my mom gags as well! It's a Van Bibber thing.

Brittany said...

Haha, I still don't know how you managed to laugh WHILE you were gagging!